Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Journey to Home Birth

It's now been a little over 4 months since I gave birth to my son at home... Yes, I said it... AT HOME!! It seems whenever people find out that I had a home birth that they either assume I'm crazy or that I just didn't have time to get to the hospital. Neither apply to my situation. My home birth was simply my decision and birth plan.

My pregnancy with Cameron had been a rocky one, and not always had I had the home birth vision. Being put on bed rest at 20 weeks as result of complete placenta previa led me to believe that my hopes for a natural birth had been crushed. The midwives and doctors all prepped me for the inevitable c-section. You see with complete previa, the chances of a placenta moving are slim. At 32 weeks, I took a bad spill down a flight of stairs while holding my one year old daughter. This spill brought on contractions, and found me in the hospital for fetal monitoring. It was at that time that I received the news the placenta had cleared! Woot!!

At 32 weeks, I had to start making decisions on my birth plan. Home birth was something I was very weary and skeptical of, but the midwives had really wanted me to consider it given my fast 5 hour labour with Cadence.

Did I always want a home birth? Did my family agree? Was the decision to have one easy? No... no... and no. Plain and simple. My conscience pulled me in every which direction. I constantly reminded myself that my epidural never took during my horrible back labour with Cadence. I reminded myself of the horrible experience I had at the hospital and that the hospital was 45 minutes from my house. Really I think for the longest time I had my mind made up that I wanted a home birth, but I couldn't bring myself to admitting it. Most of my family didn't agree with my decision to have a home birth, which has been hard for me to swallow... To this day it is something we just don't speak of.


I was 3 days overdue when I went into labour with Cameron. I had been feeling off all day. It felt like I had the case of the flu. Come 8PM my husband insisted I page the midwives. Just my luck the midwife clerk was in the area. She came by with my main midwife and checked me. I was 3cms. They performed a stretch and sweep, went out to dinner, came back a half hour later... When they returned I was 8cms, and I was going through the emotions and stages of active labour. My Mother-in-law had come to pick up Cadence and I broke down, fearing I'd never see my daughter again. The midwives and my husband decided at that point that keeping my daughter home during my labour was the best decision. I spent most of my labour in the water; it was the only place I could find my zen. The midwives vigilantly monitored the baby. Around 10:35PM they decided to move me to my bed to try and get things to progress. I had stagnated at 8cms for too long, and was in a lot of pain. At 10:40PM, I had the urge to push. The midwives wanted me to restrain, but I couldn't stop myself. They quickly broke my bag of waters and I pushed the remaining cervix out of the way (very dangerous... this was why they were trying to restrain me from doing it). At 10:42PM... just 2.5 hours after my initial page to the midwives... Cameron was born, his arm was delivered first followed by his head. I'll never forget the moment. Heck, I'm getting teary right now thinking about it! It was phenomenal experience to be in the comfort of my own home, giving birth to my son.

The bond my son and I share is unreal; Whether that be from the home birth or not, I really don't know! Cadence had been taken from me straight after delivery by NICU and respiratory nurses, so perhaps I feel the stronger bond because Cameron was placed upon my chest immediately following his delivery. Who really knows. What I do know is that given what an amazing experience I had, I'll definitely consider home birth for any future bundles that I may be blessed with!


Having experienced both a hospital and home birth, I'm happy to say that I have both experiences under my belt. I know home birth isn't an easy decision, nor is it for everyone! If it's something you're considering or you'd love to hear more about don't be shy to drop me a line!

No comments:

Post a Comment