Monday, March 14, 2011

And Then There Were Two...

It's been 4 weeks now since the home delivery of my son. I can't believe how quickly the past month has gone by. Time truly has flown! I guess that is what happens when you're barely sleeping and VERY busy.


In the past 4 weeks I've learned a lot about myself. I was very stubborn going into having the second child thinking that if the first child was easy-going; that it would be just as easy-going with two children. Boy was I ever surprised when I quickly realized the transition to Mom of two wasn't panning out the way I had envisioned it would.

My daughter was always one that slept. You were able to put her down and go about your day. You didn't have to worry about not getting that shower in or dinner prepared. You didn't have to worry about finding time for you. It was manageable. My son on the other hand is the complete opposite of her. From day one he has refused to sleep anywhere, but on me. He is a boob man (which I totally love and am embracing... Breastfeeding never worked out with my daughter). My son barely sleeps... I'm lucky if I walk away with two broken hours a night. Managing time has not been easy, and the every day stuff really stresses me out. When am I going to... Eat? Shower? Make dinner? The day-to-day stuff doesn't come as easily as I had expected.  I often find myself easily upset and teary... Simply for that fact that I feel like a failure (there is no nicer way to put it)... The fact of the matter is that I'm not "Super Mom" and I need to learn that.

What I'm coming to realize through all of this is:

  • Accept help when offered and ask when needed. momstown has been great for that. We have so many awesome members that have offered assistance. (Just know how much I appreciate it and would do the same for y'all.)
  • Sleep when the baby sleeps. (No really try to do it!) With the lack of sleep at night, any rest at this point is crucial.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff. 
  • The crock pot is your "friend".

Overall, being a Mom of 2 has been great so far. It has had it's ups and it's downs, but that's expected. It's been amazing to watch my husband and daughter both fall in love with Cameron. From the moment Cameron was delivered we felt this instant connection. It's honestly felt like he's been part of the family forever... Looking back we can't imagine him not being in our lives. The recovery both emotionally and physically has been much harder this time, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat if it meant that I got to hold this little cutie in my arms. My family and I feel truly blessed! AND - I'm sure as time goes on things will get easier... (They will get easier... right?!?!)

2 comments:

  1. It will get easier... in a few years! LOL
    Seriously just treasure it because it will be over before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog post! Harrison just turned 4 months, and honestly, I'm reading your blog thinking "I was there!!!" It will get better and you will feel more and more able to do it as time goes on! Celebrate the little successes!

    ReplyDelete