Thursday, May 26, 2011

Finding the 'Me' in Motherhood

As a Mom it is so easy to put yourself on the back burner. Once your little baby enters the world, you've quickly turned your attention to the new little bundle and their needs.You suddenly fail to remember that your needs are just as important, and deserve just as much attention.

How do you find the balance in motherhood? Do you take time away from being a Mom to focus on you? It certainly isn't easy... I know that much for sure! But it's achievable.

With both my children, the method that I found worked for us was E.A.S.Y. - Eat, Activity, Sleep, You. It's a very common sense approach; that allows for a relaxed and flexible routine. This routine is probably what helped me set boundaries and got me through the day. It ensured that I took time for myself... Even if that time was taking 20 minutes to have a shower. It's that 'me time' that got me through. That 'me' time is so crucial and important.

Now that I have a infant and a toddler, 'me time' certainly has a whole new meaning. My body craves 'me time' daily. It took me a while to figure out a way to satisfy the craving without spending too much money. I would have loved to get my hair done more frequently or go to the spa... But let's face it, it just isn't in the budget. One day I was sitting around, having a bad day, feeling like a sloth when it dawned on me... I needed to get out and be more active. I wound up enrolling at a local gym. So now 3 to 4 days a week, I head over to the gym  when the hubby gets home from work... I have my me time all while focusing on getting my pre-pregnancy body back (what is that again?)... I'm tackling two goals at once, and feeling happier and better than I ever have!

What have you done lately to find the 'me' in motherhood?

1 comment:

  1. I find me time is different for everyone, and being active is a perfect way to achieve so much with just one activity.
    Honestly though I'm ok with me time being that shower or quiet time on the computer, gotta take what life will give ya! :)

    ReplyDelete